Emergency Preparedness & Response
We help our clients prepare for and protect the health and environment of communities after disasters and hazmat releases.
About This Service
Federal agencies rely on CSS’ expertise to prepare for and respond to disasters, catastrophic events, and contaminated sites across the country. We have continuously supported federal emergency and environmental response contracts since 1989.
We help agencies plan for and respond to hazardous material and hazardous waste incidents, including contaminants of concern, chemical warfare agents, pathogens, and other chemical, biological, radioactive, and nuclear (CBRN) hazards.
Our scientists, engineers, and technicians integrate ongoing technical research with field-based experience to advance new methods and technologies.
What we do:
- Planning and delivering training and exercises
- Developing technical guidance documents, sample plans, and SOPs
- Operating and maintaining fixed and mobile analytical laboratories
- Supporting personnel and area decontamination for CBRN incidents
- Calculating Human Health Reference Values (HHRV)
- Biomonitoring for toxin exposure
- Activity-based sampling at hazardous sites
- Overseeing and enhancing removal actions at contaminated sites
- Testing and demonstrating field technologies, procedures, and equipment
- Managing and validating large analytical, field, and research data sets
- Handling, storage, and disposal of hazardous and universal wastes
- Providing on-site technical support and coordination with first responders
- Detecting and identifying chemical and biological agents at large public events
Emergency Response Planning for New York City
CSS’ staff worked EPA Consequence Management Advisory Division (CMAD) to develop an integrated framework for responding if a biological agent was released over a wide area in New York City.
Underground Transport Restoration Operational Technology Demonstration
CSS provided both technical and logistical support for the Underground Transport Restoration Operational Technology Demonstration.
Fentanyl and Fentanyl Analogs Fact Sheet
EPA tasked CSS to prepare a Quick Response Guide for first responders on the dangerous drug Fentanyl.
Quick Response Guides for Emergency Response
CSS prepares tactical, field, and quick response guides used by EPA OSCs and other first responders to address a wide range of contaminants.
Mobilizing Onsite at National Special Security Events
CSS operates and maintains EPA mobile analytical units that travel to support multi-agency security efforts during high profile events that draw large crowds.
Get in Touch
Contact us to learn more about our Emergency Preparedness & Response service area.